I’ve noticed some startling parallels in how the roles of certain members of different bands match up, making me think that rather than arising organically from a mutual love of music, these bands were assembled by the record industry, or more likely the Illuminati, from templates. For instance:
Rolling Stones/Grateful Dead
Brian Jones is to the Stones as Pigpen is to the Grateful Dead
- Defined the image early on
- Largely influenced the band’s musical direction in the beginning only to be eclipsed by band mates
Mick Taylor = Keith Godchaux
- Virtuoso brought in once they were established.
- Feelings of being under-appreciated by audience/bandmates cause them to leave their once-in-a-lifetime gigs.
Ron Wood = Brent Mydland
- Solid, unobtrusive player
- Goes along to get along
Mick Jagger = Bob Wier
- Of the two main band members, he is seen as being much more uncool
- Actual contributions to the band are frequently underestimated
Keef = Jerry
- Always given the benefit of the doubt by the fans.
Bill Wyman = Tom Constantine
- Nobody really cares
- Possibly just photo fodder to make the other members look more interesting/attractive
Are there any other two bands where individual member’s roles match up so neatly?