In what promises to be one of the most-definitive Once and For All tournaments ever, Rock Town Hall seeks a field of 64 specifically named, dedicated backing bands for a competition to determine—once and for all—rock’s greatest backing band ever! Before the competition can take place, we need YOUR help in determining the field.
Entry criteria are simple:
- The backing band must have an official name, used on an album cover or other branded piece, and be tied to a specific artist, such as Bill Haley & The Comets.
- The backing band cannot be merely a backing band for hire and/or studio backing band (eg, Booker & The MGs).
- The backing band’s official name must have been officially in use while it was backing its lead artist (eg, The Band was not officially known as “The Band” until after having backed Bob Dylan, so they would not qualify).
- Unless the leader and his or her backing band are an a capella group, strictly vocal backing bands do not qualify (eg, Smokey Robinson’s Miracles).
- Additional criteria may be added, as necessary.
Backing bands will be bracketed into 4 conferences of 16, as follows:
- The Legacy Conference
- The Expansion Conference
- The Classic Conference
- The Rebel Conference
Only one backing band has been seeded at the start of this process, The Silver Bullet Band (Bob Seger), drawing a #2 seed in the Classic Conference. They were offered the top seed, but chose to begin play at a slight disadvantage.
Let us begin the selection process for the remaining 63 contestants. You may suggest a conference and any supporting documentation with your nominations. Following seeding, which is expected this weekend, the tournament will proceed!