I would’ve categorized this as “News” but…really? “News”?! I received this email the other day from a local radio station and it was entitled:
JOE WALSH IS SOBER
Here’s a quote from the note:
“A whole new world…” That’s what the legendary Joe Walsh told me as he described life as a sober Rock star. He’s feeling great, and we couldn’t be happier for him. I thought you might want to see the chat I had with Joe…”
Lots of questions come to mind after receiving this email and watching the video.
- Who cares? Seriously. Good for Joe but is this “Breaking News” worthy? Even coming from a radio station it doesn’t feel like a big-whoop to me. “Joe Walsh Dies” would be breaking news. “Joe Walsh Has a Sex Change Operation” could also be breaking news… And if it is breaking newsworthy then it begs the question: whoa, how much effing booze has this dude downed?
- He says in the video interview that he got sober in 1994. Did I hear that right? So that would be 18 years ago. I’m not a Joe Walsh follower and am not an Eagles fan but if this is right then what about “Joe Walsh is Sober” is breaking in any way?
- 1994. Feels like that is about 14—15 years too late anyhoo. Just me?
- Joe looks to be wearing a Joy Division t-shirt based on the Unknown Pleasures cover. WTF? This is in fact the most newsworthy piece of information to me.
My comments, in reverse order:
3. Considering the challenges of staying sober, it’s probably wise that he waited this long to boast about his “new” state of sobriety. Maybe he was waiting to complete the 12th step. How many times do you read about some celebrity’s grand new state of sobriety 2 weeks after rehab…and 2 weeks before wrapping a car around a light pole?
2. Maybe he had to announce it because he’s so fried that for all these years we’ve assumed he was still wasted.
1. Judging by that WC Field nose I’d say A LOT!
Oh, and good for him AND…I’m most curious to see whether his sobriety will result in something I don’t think any sober rocker has ever done: an updated version of a song from his or her partying days. Bring it on, Joe: “Life’s Been Good to Me (Sober).”
While I agree that this isn’t the sort of news that’s going to send people out on the streets in joy, I say more power to Joe if he succeeds. I’ve always thought of him as one of the Good Guys of rock and roll – he never seemed to take himself too seriously yet he managed to create distinctive styles in both his guitar playing and singing.
Joe seemed like the only Eagle with a genuine personality and sense of humor. That I can now assume he is a Joy Division fan makes him even more of positive figure for me.
I guess this kills the James Gang reuinion that Joe was talking about in November? That’s a retro show that I would go see!
Hey, I heard Joe’s new song on the ra-did-dio last weekend. Kinda funny, cranky old guy stuff but not exactly world-shaking:
I’m in complete agreement.
I always did like his voice.
The most newsworthy aspect of that video is the top comment that some old fart close to my age thinks that kids don’t know their classic rock. Where is this guy, under an analog rock? When one of my schools does their morning “name that tune” the most quickly id’d songs are those classic numbers. Sheesh.
Can anyone hypothesize or figure out just how many degrees of separation there are between Joe Walsh and Joy Division?
Bill Szymczyk produced many Joe Walsh and Eagles albums.
Bill Szymczyk also produced The Who’s Face Dances.
Pete Townshend is in The Who.
Chris Thomas produced Pete solo albums like Empty Glass.
Chris Thomas also produced Never Mind the Bollocks, Here’s the Sex Pistols
At the Sex Pistols famed Manchester performance in 1976, Joy Divison’s Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner were in the audience, along with Mark E. Smith, Morrissey and other future Manchester music heroes.
Nicely done! Can anyone beat 6 degrees?
Maybe he’s wearing the infamous Mickey Mouse version.
One easy way to skip right from Joe to Pete is the fact that Joe gave Pete a pile of gear.
Can’t even remember how many amazing guitars Joe has “given” to people. The guy knew how to accumulate great gear, and then “gave” terrific stuff to friends…
Breaking Joe Walsh news I’d like to read:
FEDERAL AGENTS STORM EAGLES COMPOUND, RESCUE JOE WALSH
Mr. Royale said the same thing!
Joe is trying to leave The Eagles compound for The Beatles compound. Ringo on drums and Jeff Lynn producing, slide guitar riff. This might have well been titled Traveling Wilburys Vol. 4.
I meant to say yesterday, that’s truly one of the most astounding RTH Rock Nerd posts ever. Bravo!
I’d never heard of the “Mickey Mouse” version. This must be it- http://cdn.booooooom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/disneyjoydivision.jpg
I did know about these though- http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kxp6j9Ia5P1qa0ii2o1_500.jpg I don’t think I could pull those off…actually don’t want to even if I could…
Does anyone know what the symbols/letters are on top of the design? I would guess is says “Joy Division” in some other language.
That would be kewl.
Apologies for this but it turned up when I was looking for the Mickey Mouse version. Unfortunately, for me, this image is now eternally tied with Joe Walsh.
sammy is back baby!
We missed you!